May 14, 2010
Celebrity Mama of the Month
You may not recognize Emily Giffin’s face, but if you’re a fan of fiction, you may very well recognize her name. After all, it’s been a frequent fixture on The New York Times bestseller list since the 2004 release of her first book, Something Borrowed.
Recently adapted for the screen, Something Borrowed will hit theaters next year with Kate Hudson and John Krasinski as the leads. But fans of Emily Giffin don’t have to wait for more of her work. In fact, her fifth novel, Heart of the Matter, was just released this week.
With 6-year-old identical twins, Edward and George, and a 2-year-old daughter, Harriet, finding time to write can’t be easy. In fact, the author was surprised by “the relentlessness of [motherhood]. It is the job that never ends!” And yet, she’s quick to add that it’s “totally worth it.” When asked what she likes most about being a mom, she responds “Reliving the magic of childhood with my favorite people.”
As for what she likes most when it comes to children’s products, here is Emily’s Top 10 list.
1. Fave baby ride: Aprica Cadence is, in my opinion, the best stroller on the market. We had one in pink for Harriet. Skuuts are great for teaching kids how to ride a bike. They now ride the Diamondback two-wheeler and the Disney Princess by Huffy (in purple).
2. Fave diaper bag: Skip Hop or LL Bean canvas bags. We have dozens around here!
3. Fave nursery/kid’s room decor item: Serena & Lily pillows and lamps.
4. Fave children’s books: All the old classics and anything illustrated by Gyo Fujikawa.
5. Fave places to travel with kids: Deer Valley, NYC, Rosemary Beach. I love taking trips and the kids are excellent travelers. They can be unruly in so many settings but are always perfectly behaved on airplanes.
7. Fave “green” baby/kids product: Babybearshop
8. Favorite toys: Legos, Little People by Fisher Price–the new ones and my vintage collection.
9. The one item you couldn’t live without: My digital camera. I snap photos of the kids nearly every day.
10. The one item you wouldn’t want to live without: Disney movies. Although Diego comes in handy too!
“Heart of the Matter” available at amazon.com.
>>GIVEAWAY ALERT: Post on our Facebook Wall about when you would find time to read Heart of the Matter and you can win an autographed copy of the book!
photo credit Deborah Feingold