Azithromycin is an antibiotic. It is widely used to treat chest infections such as pneumonia, nose and throat infections such as sinus infection (sinusitis), skin infections, Lyme disease and some sexually transmitted infections. Can you drink alcohol while taking A Z pack?
- Azithromycin is an antibiotic.
- It is widely used to treat chest infections such as pneumonia, nose and throat infections such as sinus infection (sinusitis), skin infections, Lyme disease and some sexually transmitted infections.
- Azithromycin is used in children, often to treat an infection or a chest infection.
- It can also be used long-term to prevent chest infections in people who still get it.
- The medicine is available by prescription in the form of capsules, tablets and liquids that you drink. It can also be given by injection, but it is usually only done in a hospital.
What antibiotics can you not drink alcohol with?
There are specific antibiotics that have a direct effect on the alcohol metabolism pathway. And it is these that pose the greatest risk of a direct negative impact on simultaneous administration with alcohol.
The drugs in question? The main culprits are flagyl (metronidazole; this also applies to vaginal recipes and oral tablets), Tindamax (Tinidazole), Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole-trimethoprim) and Zyvox (linezolid). When taking these drugs, avoid alcohol and alcohol-containing products, and for several days after taking metronidazole or tinidazole.
Remember to check the labels for hidden sources of alcohol; mouthwashes or cough medicine may contain alcohol. Your pharmacist is a great source of information if you need help!
There are no known interactions between azithromycin (Zithromax Z-Pak) and alcohol, so you can take a glass or two if you like.
The most important facts
- Azithromycin is usually taken once a day. Try to take at the same time every day.
- If your doctor has prescribed your azithromycin capsules, you should take them at least 1 hour before or 2 hours after eating. If you have tablets or liquid, you can take them with or without food.
- For most infections, you should feel better in a few days, but you should still complete the full course of treatment.
- The most common side effects of azithromycin are nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, headache or changes in taste.
- Azithromycin is also called the Zithromax brand.